Elder Care in Summit NJ
August is Boomers Making a Difference Month. This is a fantastic time for you to encourage your parent to seek out greater mental, emotional, and even physical stimulation through volunteering. Participating in volunteer opportunities gives your aging loved one the opportunity to reach out to the community around them and make a difference. This can give them a mental and emotional boost, and keep their mind sharper and more responsive. This can protect them from depression, isolation, loneliness, loss of motivation, and even greater rate of physical decline. Choosing a volunteer opportunities that are meaningful for your parent can help them to live a life that is more fulfilling and meaningful as they age in place.
While the options available to your parent will be unique to their needs, challenges, and capabilities, some volunteer opportunities that may be right for your aging parent include:
- Reading buddies. Children who are working on learning how to read often do better when they are able to read aloud to others. Contact the local elementary school to find out if there are any volunteer opportunities available with young students where your parent could sit and listen to them read.
- Food bank. Working with a food bank is an exceptional way for your parent to reach out and make a difference to many people in their community. They may be able to help with tasks such as organizing food pantries, taking inventory of items that are donated, or participating in events that include collecting food into kits or backpacks and distributing them to families who are in need.
- Pet shelters. The animals housed at shelters are often in need of love and care because it can be challenging to keep up with their needs when the staff is limited. Your elderly loved one may be able to volunteer to perform important tasks such as walking the dogs, cleaning up cages or litter boxes, or just spending time with the animals that are waiting for homes.
If your parent is eager to get out into their community and make a difference to others, but have challenges and limitations that might make it difficult for them to do as much as they would like to do, now may be the ideal time for you to consider elder care. Having an elderly home care services provider can allow your aging parent to engage in a more active and engaged lifestyle while still saying safe, healthy, and comfortable as they age in place. With the personalized approach to care and assistance provided by an elder care provider, your parent can manage their physical, mobility, or medical challenges in ways that still allow them to be independence, active, and fulfilled. This can mean providing safe and reliable transportation so that your parent can get to the volunteer opportunities that they desire, or actually engaging in these activities with your parent so that they can make the most of their aging years.
If you or an aging loved one are considering hiring elder care near Summit, NJ, call the caring staff at Helping Hands Home Care today at 908-418-4299. Providing Home Care Services in all of Northern and Central NJ, including Clark, Westfield, Cranford, Scotch Plains, Rahway, Linden, Summit, Edison, Elizabeth, Mountainside and the surrounding areas.
After graduating from Seton Hall University with a BS in finance Helping Hands Homecare’s Owner / President, Robert D’Arienzo, went to work on Wall St. for six years. However, after Robert’s grandmother became ill with stomach cancer Robert and his family needed to find assistance in the home for her. After many trials and tribulations Robert could see that there was a great need for quality home care services here in NJ and loved the idea of being able to assist other families who were going through what his family went through with his beloved grandmother.
Thus, Robert had found his passion. After almost a year of preparation Robert opened Helping Hands Homecare in 2003. Robert wanted Helping Hands Homecare to focus on providing the highest quality of caregivers, exceptional customer service, and providing a service that familys could depend on in their time of need. Since then Helping Hands has assisted hundreds of individuals with the simplest of needs to more complex cases while preserving those standards set out many years ago.
Robert is a Google Verified Author
Latest posts by Robert D'Arienzo (see all)
- What Kinds of Meaningful Activities Can Elder Care Do with Seniors? - July 18, 2019
- Would You Recognize the Signs of Rheumatoid Arthritis? - July 4, 2019
- Four Pointers to Make Work/Caregiving Balance Happen - June 21, 2019