Washing hair is particularly important to keeping seniors healthy and clean, plus boosting their self-esteem about how they look. When family caregivers are not able to help their aging loved one with grooming and hygiene care, they hire elderly care providers to assist.
Why Do Seniors Need Help with Washing Hair?
With age, elderly adults often find it more difficult to take care of themselves or their homes. They may struggle with housekeeping, cooking, and personal care. As family caregivers step in to help their elderly relatives out with more daily care tasks, one of the first areas that they help with are bathing and grooming.
Health issues like arthritis, muscle weakness, post-stroke side effects, and more can all limit how well seniors can wash their own hair. Even being in the bathroom on their own can be frightening for those with poor vision, bad balance, and a history of falling. Having an elderly care provider nearby to assist in washing hair means seniors can stay safe and get clean.
Here are some of the benefits in having elderly care providers on hand to help elderly adults with taking baths, washing hair, and keeping clean:
- Regular Schedules: Many aging adults like to be on a schedule, and they can set up a time and day for washing their bodies and hair for when the elderly care provider will be at the home. This can eliminate a lot of stress for both seniors and family caregivers, knowing that a professional will make sure this important hygiene task gets done.
- Avoiding Slip and Fall Accidents: The bathroom can be very dangerous, with slippery tiles and wet floors. Many seniors get injured via slip and fall accidents in the bathroom due to poor balance, stiff joints and muscles, bad vision, and more. When an elderly care provider is with them, they are less likely to have a slip and fall.
- Inspiring Independence: With a loss of independence in doing daily tasks, many seniors grow irritable or depressed that they cannot do the things they used to. Elderly care providers can give aging adults the chance to do as much for themselves as they can, such as pouring out the shampoo or holding the towel. When seniors get a chance to help themselves, their self-esteem rises.
- Care and Comfort: It can be hard to coordinate everything an elderly adult needs to shower up and wash their hair. Lack of stamina, poor focus, and disinterest can all sidetrack an aging adult from washing their hair. An elderly care provider can get everything set out, from towels, to shampoo, to slippers, so the senior just has to enter the bathroom and clean up.
Washing the hair is a daily care task that senior cannot afford to skip Just a few times per week, aging adults can enjoy getting help from elderly care providers in washing their hair, efficiently and professionally. Not only does freshly washed hair lead to better health, it also improves a senior’s self-esteem.
If you or an aging loved one are considering hiring elderly care in Scotch Plains, NJ, call the caring staff at Helping Hands Home Care today at 908-418-4299. Providing Home Care Services in all of Northern and Central NJ, including Clark, Westfield, Cranford, Scotch Plains, Rahway, Linden, Summit, Edison, Elizabeth, Mountainside and the surrounding areas.
After graduating from Seton Hall University with a BS in finance Helping Hands Homecare’s Owner / President, Robert D’Arienzo, went to work on Wall St. for six years. However, after Robert’s grandmother became ill with stomach cancer Robert and his family needed to find assistance in the home for her. After many trials and tribulations Robert could see that there was a great need for quality home care services here in NJ and loved the idea of being able to assist other families who were going through what his family went through with his beloved grandmother.
Thus, Robert had found his passion. After almost a year of preparation Robert opened Helping Hands Homecare in 2003. Robert wanted Helping Hands Homecare to focus on providing the highest quality of caregivers, exceptional customer service, and providing a service that familys could depend on in their time of need. Since then Helping Hands has assisted hundreds of individuals with the simplest of needs to more complex cases while preserving those standards set out many years ago.
Robert is a Google Verified Author
Latest posts by Robert D'Arienzo (see all)
- What Kinds of Meaningful Activities Can Elder Care Do with Seniors? - July 18, 2019
- Would You Recognize the Signs of Rheumatoid Arthritis? - July 4, 2019
- Four Pointers to Make Work/Caregiving Balance Happen - June 21, 2019