May is Healthy Vision Month. This is the ideal opportunity for you to work with your elderly parent to learn about the health challenges that they face with their vision and what they can do to help protect it as they get older. Protecting their vision is an important part of preserving your parent’s functioning, health, and quality of life as they age in place.
Use these tips to help your senior maintain their healthy vision throughout their later years:
- Ensure that your senior goes to the eye doctor regularly and receives dilated eye exams to detect changes that might indicate oncoming eye health problems.
- Be aware of any eye diseases that members of your parent’s family have suffered. Some conditions and eye diseases have a hereditary element, meaning that if a member of your parent’s family has had such a condition, your loved one is at higher risk for developing that condition.
- Encourage your parent to eat a healthy diet with plenty of healthy fats, omega-3s, and dark leafy green vegetables.
- Help your parent to maintain a healthy weight to reduce strain on their eyes.
- If they have health conditions such as high blood pressure or diabetes, make sure that your elderly parent takes the steps they need to to manage them properly.
- If your parent is a smoker, help them to quit.
- Whenever your senior is outside in the sun, make sure that they are wearing sunglasses that curve around the face and that block at least 99 percent of ultraviolet B and ultraviolet A radiation as these can damage the structure of the eyes and threaten your parent’s vision.
- Take the proper steps to avoid infections in the eyes, including encouraging them to wash their hands before they touch their eyes, such as when they remove contact lenses.
If your aging parent has been struggling with needs or challenges that are making it more difficult for them to live a healthy, comfortable, and fulfilling quality of life as they age in place, now may be the ideal time for you to consider starting senior care for them. A senior home care services provider can be with your aging loved one on a customized schedule that is right for their needs. They will work with you to ensure that they are with your parent as frequently and for as long as they need to give them the highly personalized set of services that is right for them. These will be tailored not just to their needs, challenges, and limitations, but also your parent’s personality, goals, thoughts, and preferences. This helps ensure that they are not just managing their needs, but also helping them to live a lifestyle that is as independent, active, and fulfilling as possible throughout their later years. One of the most valuable services that a senior care provider can offer to your aging parent is giving them reminders to help them remain compliant with recommendations given to them by their doctor to help them manage and protect their health.
If you or an aging loved one are considering hiring senior care in Westfield, NJ, call the caring staff at Helping Hands Home Care today at 908-418-4299. Providing Home Care Services in all of Northern and Central NJ, including Clark, Westfield, Cranford, Scotch Plains, Rahway, Linden, Summit, Edison, Elizabeth, Mountainside and the surrounding areas.
- Common Anxiety Disorders Seen in Senior Citizens - May 21, 2020
- Exercising and Arthritis: What Do Family Caregivers Need to Know? - May 7, 2020
- Three Projects for Families to Do on National Earth Day - April 22, 2020